1. Choose the correct answer from a, b, c or d
1. My mother was _____ when she saw how dirty my little sister had made her new dress.
a. regretful b. furious c. shouting d. aggressive
2. All that I care about when choosing a holiday destination is a beautiful _____.
a. travel b. swimming pool c. landscape d. site
3. St Catherine’s _____ in the Sinai holds many important historical and religious documents.
a. monastery b. church c. site d. palace
4. I hope to become a writer and to write a _____ like Harry Potter that will make me rich.
a. story b. bestseller c. book d. novel
5. I have so much homework to do and I need to prepare for my exams. I am too _____ to have fun!
a. busy b. crowded c. full d. empty
6. Please could you _____ the manager that Mrs Adams is here to meet him.
a. announce b. inform c. say d. request
7. I was not able to qualify to become a doctor, so instead I became a _____ to help the sick and injured.
a. engineer b. consultant c. surgeon d. paramedic
8. I am not _____ swimming because the water always goes in my ears!
a. keen on b. liking c. interesting about d. happy with
2. Complete the gaps with words from the box below.
include regret grandchildren traditions silent ambition oppose find out meaningless
My grandmother was a very wise woman. She had lots of advice for me and she taught me many things. For example, she taught me not to look back in _______________ at things I wish I had done or not done, but to think about how to change the future. My grandmother used to say that _______________ is a good thing, but too much of it is bad. She told me that the way to stay young is to always be interested in the things around me and to try to _______________ as much as possible about them. She taught me not to waste my time on _______________ things, but not to forget old _______________. And finally, she taught me to love my _______________ dearly!