Secondary 1 - Vocabulary - Unit 18
Holidays with a difference
1. Complete the analogy with a word from the unit. Follow the example.
An analogy is a way to show relationships between words. Below you can see an example. The sentence in brackets is how we read an analogy aloud.
Example: brother : sister :: uncle : aunt (Brother is to sister as uncle is to aunt.)
Read the analogy and fill in the empty blank with a word from the unit.
1. protect : protection :: conserve : ____________________
2. teach : teacher :: instruct : ____________________
3. dolphin : water : ____________________ : desert
4. Egypt : country :: Alexandria : ____________________
5. zebra : fast :: ____________________ : slow
2. Write an antonym for each word. Follow the example.
Example: advantage - disadvantage
1. ugly - ____________________
2. common - ____________________
3. ability -______________________________________________
4. free - ____________________
5. safe - ____________________
3. Rewrite each sentence, using a word from the unit to replace the underlined words.
1. I've planned to meet Jim tomorrow.
2. She wrote a book about her long journey (to a dangerous place) in the forest.
3. They had a wonderful food that is eaten of fish and chips on the beach.
4. She likes to go to the north land that is next to the sea every summer for holiday.
5. Many people have family members living in a foreign country.
4. Use your Active Study Dictionary to find the following:
a. the noun of:
1. declare: ____________________
2. exclaim: ____________________
3. realise: ____________________